In 1887, Jeppe & Co. leased a non-mineralised portion of farmland from F. J. Bezhuidenhout senior’s Doornfontein farm. 400 stands went up for auction by I. J. Lithaeuer on 14 March 1888 for ‘Jeppe’s Township, Doornfontein’, which was named after Julius G. E. C Jeppe Snr, Sir Julius Jeppe’s father, who was the suburb manager until his death in 1893. The first monument erected in Johannesburg is in the Jeppe oval in his honour.
Many of Jeppe’s street names commemorate members of the Jeppe family and their associates. The Ford & Jeppe Estate Company took over ownership of Jeppestown and Fordsburg in 1889 and Jeppestown was included into Johannesburg proper in 1893.
Prior to this, the area west of Jeppe today, now known as City & Suburban, was Natal Camp. This was one of three camps digger camps established in 1886 (the others were Ferreira’s Camp and Paarlshoop). Natal Camp catered for miners coming mainly from Natal. Veldcornet Johannes Petrus Meyer, who had his home on an adjoining farm near the camp was a representative of the Government and also held power of attorney from F. J. Bezhuidenhout to transact business on the southern part of his farm Doornfontein and the farm Turffontein. The camp was originally known as Meyer’s Camp, but as it filled up with diggers from Natal, its name changed. The spruit (small river) also became known as Natal Spruit. By September 1886 there were roughly 500 people living in the camp. Men who were to play a prominent part in Johannesburg (and the future suburb of Jeppestown and Belgravia) established their first homes there. These included Carl and Julius Jeppe Jnr, H. B. Marshall, Wolhunter and Henry Nourse. The early relationship with J. P. Meyer no doubt influenced the purchase and establishment of Jeppestown.
Julius G.E.C Jeppe Snr (1821-1893) came to South Africa from Germany in 1870. His brothers Hermann, Friedrich and sister Francina and her husband arrived earlier in the 1850s.
Carl Jeppe (1858-1933) was the eldest son of Jeppe Snr and was the Consul of the Transvaal Republic before the Boer War. He was also a member of the Volksraad and a one-time leader of the Progressive Party.
Jeppe Snr’s youngest son was Julius Jeppe Jnr (1859-1929 and later Sir after being knighted in 1922) who actively supported many public, social and educational amenities in a time when it wholly depended on individual initiative. He held many public offices in his lifetime including being the chairmen of the Hospital Board. Both Jeppe sons were partners in the estate company started by their father along with Ford and both were part of the original committee of pioneers responsible for the early Rand Agricultural Show and the Wanderers Sport Club.
An interesting observation is that the estate company established two of the earliest suburbs to east and west of the new town, virtually guaranteeing success when the town expanded. Julius Jeppe Jnr was also responsible for building Johannesburg’s first road, Commissioner Street, which then rab from Ferreira’s Camp to Jeppe. According to Julius Jeppe, “This was not an expensive matter as it only necessitated the hiring of three ox-wagons, loading them with stones and giving them a straight line to travel to and fro for a week or so.”
In 1890 the Anglican Church established St Michael’s College in Troyeville on the corner of Crown and Op De Bergen Streets (where Fairview Junior School still stands). The foundation stone was laid on 11 April 1890. The buildings of the School were bought by the Witwatersrand Council of Education in 1897 and the School was renamed the Jeppestown Grammar School. Financial difficulties forced the parents to assume responsibility in 1898. It was closed for the duration of the Anglo Boer War and in 1902 re-opened its doors. It became a government school, one of the so-called Milner Schools, and in 1903 renamed the Jeppestown High School for Boys and Girls.
The current Jeppe Boys stone buildings were built in 1909 on land donated by Sir Julius Jeppe. They were designed by Ralston, a student of Sir Herbert Baker. The Prep School, also initially a private school, occupied the buildings in Troyeville that the High School vacated when it moved to new premises. Building of the new Prep School commenced in 1916 on land also donated by the Jeppe family at the end of College Street. In 1919, after the First World War, the girls’ school was established in their new buildings further down Roberts Avenue and the boys’ school became Jeppe High School for Boys. Although the main school is technically in Kensington, I’ve kept it here because of the connection to Friedenheim and the Jeppe family.
Belgravia also has the dubious honour of being the first gated suburb in Johannesburg with its own short-lived toll road. The intention was to collect money for the upkeep of the roads but it proved to be unpopular and was eventually abandoned. The gates were across the road from where Salisbury House is now at the corner of Berg and Marshall Street. Belgravia was not allowed to have any businesses in the area. Stands were large and roads wide.